CoMiDe – Initiative for Migration and Development
The transnational Initiative CoMiDe aims to enhance coherent migration and development policies at the European level and in four European countries. Furthermore its objective is to initiate cooperation between development NGOs, migrant organisations and communities in Italy, Slovenia, Slovakia, and Austria. Ultimately, in the international debate, migration should be considered a result of global inequality.
The CoMiDe Initiative started in April 2011. The three-year project is funded by the European Commission. Project partners are the Peace Institute – Institute for Contemporary Social and Political Studies (Slovenia), COSPE – Cooperazione per lo Sviluppo dei Paesi Emergenti (Italy), Society Development Institute (Slovakia), and Südwind Agentur (Austria). The VIDC (Vienna Institute for International Dialogue and Cooperation) is the lead agency.
- We examine the migration and development nexus at the European level and research good practice examples.
- We organise conferences and debates in all four project countries, which will involve European experts as well as non-European intellectuals.
- We offer a range of different training courses and workshops for development NGOs and Diaspora organisations in order to enhance cooperation and to formulate joint project ideas and concepts. We also offer trainings for journalists.
- We organise partnership fairs in each project country for development and Diaspora organisations in order to promote learning and information sharing. Accompanying workshops will facilitate cooperation, and an online networking platform will also be offered.
- We organise lobby meetings at the European and the four national levels which will explain the necessity of coherent migration and development policies to the most important stakeholder groups.
- Formulation of coherent migration and development policies at national and EU level.
- Stronger cooperation between Development NGOs and Diaspora organisations and between communities in Italy, Slovenia, Slovakia and Austria.
- Public awareness raising about migration and development issues.
- The development of a manifest with binding principles for an improved cooperation within the migration-development nexus and for an active engagement of Diaspora organisations in development cooperation practices. This manifest will be supported by different stakeholders in the field of migration and development policy as well as by migrant communities in Italy, Slovenia, Slovakia and Austria.